Dorothy Peterson–A Bingham High School Legend (1929-2020)

Dorothy Peterson

(1929-2020)

The Bingham Alumni Foundation would like to pay tribute to Dorothy Peterson who was an important part of Bingham High School for most all her life.  She was an outstanding teacher and pioneering coach who embodied the essence of Bingham High School.  Her pioneering efforts made her one of the elite number of coaches that formulated the structure of teaching, coaching and student behavior at Bingham High that is followed by teachers and coaches to this day.  Her legacy lives on in the next generation of teachers who continue to teach and coach using her example.  She affected the lives of literally thousands of Bingham Miners and her influence will be felt for generations to come.  She was a true Bingham legend.  The following are some of her many contributions to the Bingham Community:

-Physical Education, health, physiology, and English teacher at Bingham High (1964-1975)

-She founded the girls’ competitive sports program at Bingham

-She was Bingham High’s first Lady Miners sports coach (1972)

-Teacher at Bingham Junior High in Copperton (1975-1987)

-She would render countless hours of service to the Bingham Community though civic and church activities

-Honored in 2004 for her outstanding service to Bingham High School when she was presented the Candlelight Service Award

-Inducted as a of the Bingham High School Coaches Wall of Fame.  She coached basketball, volleyball, softball, track, gymnastics and the Minerette drill team.

-Member of the Copperton Town Council

-She will always be remembered as the founder of Bingham High School’s girls’ competitive sports program and the first girls’ sports coach  

Short Biography

Dorothy Peterson was born and raised in Springville, Utah and graduated from Springville High in 1947.  She attended BYU where she earned her Bachelor of Science Degree in P.E., Health, and Elementary Education in 1951.  While at BYU she met her husband, James Peterson, to whom she was married in 1952. 

Her first teaching job was at Lincoln High School in Orem, Utah.  In 1954, she moved to Copperton and started teaching at Bingham High in the late 1950s, and then took a number of years off to raise her family.  She started teaching at Bingham again in 1964 and remained there until 1975 when the high school moved to South Jordan.  At Bingham she was assigned to teach P.E., Health, Physiology, English, Reading and a few other subjects.

In 1972, Bingham had its first official girls’ sports teams and Dorothy was the first girls’ sports coach.  She is credited with starting the first competitive girls’ sports program at Bingham High School and with being the first Lady Miner sports coach.  In 1973 the girls’ basketball team started competing in regional play with Mrs. Peterson as its coach.  During her tenure as the Lady Miner coach, she would coach volleyball, basketball, track, gymnastics and the Minerette drill team. 

She would continue to teach in Copperton after Bingham High moved to South Jordan and the Copperton building became the Bingham Junior High School.   She retired from teaching in 1987.

Dorothy Cranmer Peterson       

May 1, 1929 ~ August 18, 2020 (age 91)

Obituary

Dorothy Cranmer Peterson, 91, died August 18, 2020 in Copperton, Utah.

Born in Springville, Utah, to Joseph Frank Cranmer and Marie Wheeler, she grew up and attended schools in Springville. She spent many good times with her brother, Joe, and her cousin, Jack Parker.

Dorothy played softball for many years and was active all of her life. She loved water aerobics later in life.  As an accomplished pianist, she used her talent to entertain and provide service throughout her life. She attended BYU, majoring in Physical Education and Health. Mom taught school for 32 years, primarily at Bingham High School and Bingham Middle School. She positively influenced many young women; she also helped facilitate girls’ athletics in the schools.

Mom served the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in various capacities during her life. She involved herself in civic organizations where she could serve the community. Mom made friends wherever she went or lived. She enjoyed watching a good ball game and followed her grandchildren and great-grandchildren around to watch softball, baseball, soccer, and tennis matches. She loved her family, friends, and her life. Mom expressed gratitude for those who helped and served her during her life.

Survived by her brother, Joe, son, James Kent (Mary), her daughter, LeAnne (Mike), her daughter-in-law, Cyndi, eleven grandchildren, Jen (Troy), Michael (Maria), David (Jerring), Jason (Fiona), Katie (Jakson), James (Marisol), Erin, Kara (Josh),

Zach (Juliana), Damon (Andrea), Ian (Kate), and their families. “Grandma Great” had 26½ great grandchildren. Preceded in death by her parents, husband, Jim, and son, Michael Craig.

A viewing for family and friends will be on Thursday, August 20, 2020 from 6-8pm at Larkin Mortuary in Riverton located at 3688 West 12600 South in Riverton.

A funeral service for family will be held on Friday, August 21, 2020 at 10:00 am also at Larkin Mortuary. Interment will follow at the Larkin Sunset Gardens under the direction of Wheeler Mortuary.

Instead of flowers, donations may be made to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints humanitarian, or missionary fund, or Bingham High School Alumni Association in her name.